Harness For Dogs Do-It-Yourself Pattern
What is a harness?
The first accessories, similar to a harness, were used in ancient times in dog sledding. At present, the harness for dogs are attributes in the form of two straps that pass through the chest through the torso. They are connected on the ridge of the pet, as well as between the front paws.
According to experts, this accessory is more acceptable in contrast to the collar. A harness for dogs allows you to evenly and correctly spread the load on the animal’s skeleton. In this accessory, the animal feels more comfortable and calm. Moreover, the pet owner has the ability to lock the dog in the desired position.
But if before, leather harnesses for dogs made by hand were used exclusively in sledding, today their field of application has expanded. Most breeders choose these attributes because they allow you to control the animal reliably without affecting its throat. But if the dog is not raised, he can also show his temperament in the harness. That is, it is not worth hoping that in the harness it will cease to escape during the walk.
Let’s start with the advantages:
- You can control your pet well without letting it run away.
- The breeder will be able to adjust the distance between him and the animal.
- A harness for dogs is an excellent option to teach your pet to a leash, so it is often used by dog breeders while the puppy is at an early age.
- Special cargo attributes that you can do yourself, perfectly suited for the implementation of training.
- The attribute is quite possible to sew their own hands at home.
Also, the accessory has drawbacks:
- If a dog is very active and is not given so that you can put a harness on him (and this often happens with puppies), the process may take some time.
- If at least one clasp is not securely fastened, it can lead to the fact that the dog simply breaks off during a walk and runs away.
- Too soft materials tear quickly, especially if your pet is a large breed.
- If you do not go on time to the collar, the dog will quickly get used to it. Accordingly, it will be more difficult to translate it.
Different types of finishes
The uniqueness of the harness will give the finish. Fantasy master can turn an ordinary object into a masterpiece. Decorating with rhinestones, bows, appliqués, embroidery is appropriate in harness for small dogs, created with their own hands.
Decorations give the product and pet a glamorous look. But when finishing, for example, braces for a shepherd dog, you can use blocks and buttons for your own hands. Such a shleya, as well as its owner, will acquire a brutal, strict look.
Large and strong animals can be "rewarded" with harness, supplied with weighting. This accessory is often used for lack of muscle mass. Cargo harnesses help her restore and strengthen the dog’s back. It is better to entrust these stitches to professionals to sew, since in their manufacture it is necessary to take into account a large number of various nuances that allow the four-legged friend to safely operate the harness.
After all, an incorrectly distributed load can cause irreparable harm to a pet. And only an expert knows how to sew a harness for a dog, maintaining its health and activity.
Now any dog owner knows how to make a harness with his own hands. A little patience – and the dear darling will receive a gift from the beloved master, who will accompany him for a long time for a walk or during training. Even sled dogs will feel comfortable in harness, which the owner has made with his own hands.
These recommendations can benefit from the use and cat lovers who prefer to stuffy house street.
Since a husky dog collar is not the optimal solution, harnesses were developed for this breed and others. This is a riding gear that allows an animal to carry loads of varying degrees of severity without discomfort.
Its design consists of two belts that have four points of contact. They gird the pet through the chest and pass further along the body. Thanks to such a device, the load is distributed evenly over the entire body of the dog, without pressing on the neck and leaving the limbs free.
There are the following types of shleek:
- walking leash – used for daily walks. In a pair to him goes the usual collar. It is made of strong and durable material;
- for puppies. Leash babies should be worn from 7-10 months. Puppies are recommended to sew harness with their own hands in order to choose the most convenient size;
- for representatives of decorative breeds (for example, dwarf poodles, Yorkshire terrier, chihuahua, etc.). Such devices are equipped with handles on the back. Products for small pets are varied: from soft vests to standard shley;
- for dogs of large breeds. These animals are capable of dragging heavy loads. Their training should include serious physical activity. The harness for such pets is called cargo;
- exhibition products. They are a decorative accessory that is often used at exhibitions and various competitions;
- Trace-leather leather harness. Such products are intended for service dogs working in the field of tracing;
- riders. Connect to the harness. Used in a riding sport in which both people and dogs take part;
- medical. Used for injured or paralyzed pets.
Any kind of harness can be made by hand.
There are a lot of types of attributes, we will consider each of them:
- Driving. This option is done specifically for certain sizes of pet. It is considered sporty and usually in order to sew it, a canvas or nylon is used.
- Sports options. There may be several types. Freight used for training, as well as maintaining physical fitness. Special options with weights are equipped with additional pockets where these loads are installed. If the dog will be engaged in trace work, then a special attribute may be used that fits tightly to the body.
- Walking options. Divided into several types – for small and large breeds. For small dogs, attributes are most popular, they are equipped with additional handles on the back, but they can be without them. Options for large breeds are not allowed to be used on service and fighting animals, as well as overly aggressive dogs.
- Special medical option. Can be used if your pet has problems with its hind legs. Dress should be about 2/3 of the body.
- Attribute for puppies. It is one of the most popular options. According to experts, when the puppy is 6 months old, he can wear a special harness that will allow the pectoral muscles to develop well.
- Glowing options. It is better not to use it on an ongoing basis, since the bulbs with which they are equipped distract the dog’s attention (the author of the video is Dog Training).
Next we look at how to sew a harness for dogs. We offer step by step instructions:
- Take your measurements as indicated above. After that, make a pattern, considering the seam allowances. If you choose nylon for sewing, the allowance will be 2 cm. In the case of leather, leave 5 mm on the seams.
- Put the pattern on the selected lining material and cut the lining. Make a line on the inside of the future harness.
- Attaching the pattern, cut the product around the perimeter and stitch a soft braid. On the straps make the lines also from the outside.
- We collect the product. Mount steel rings on the back. In order to make an adjustable leash, also attach rings to the straps.
- Select the decor of the product. If you are the owner of a small dog, then it can be bright stickers, bows, multi-colored pebbles, beads.