Harness For Puppies How To Measure
It is very important that the dog harness be perfectly adjusted in size, and also was designed for the temperament and physical strength of the dog, taking into account its breed. In addition, the choice of the type of harness depends on what it is for.
These can be ordinary walks, official search, sports or driving in general.
Rules for choosing dog harness
- The material from which it is made should be durable, but soft, durable and easy to wear.
- It is better to choose harness not with one, but with several clasps. Well, when the procedure of putting on the ammunition in a dog does not cause discomfort. Therefore, it is necessary to choose models in which the dog does not need to "squeeze".
- The harness should fit snugly enough to the dog’s body so as not to move, but at the same time it should not restrain movement and squeeze. It is possible to check the correctness of the selection of the size of the bracing by sticking the palm between her and the body of the animal. If she enters calmly, the size is correctly selected. If the harness sags, it must be adjusted to prevent injury.
- The strap of the upper part of the harness should correspond to the width of the back of the dog and not be too narrow so as not to bump into the body of the animal.
- It is better not to wear harness on the street constantly and it is unacceptable to leave the dog in the harness of the house.
Also, it should not be for the sake of harness, especially if the dog attends the exhibition. Having become accustomed to the harness, he will experience discomfort in the ring in the collar.
Before buying a harness, it is necessary to take measurements from a dog
This is done with the help of a tailor meter. When taking measurements, the dog should stand straight. To determine the size of the harness, you need to take three basic measurements:
- the main measure is the length of the back from the base of the tail to the base of the withers;
- neck girth at the collar location;
- chest girth behind the front legs in the widest place. To her need for free fitting add 2 cm.
For dogs of large and medium sizes, braces should be selected from strong material, braided band or leather, with secure fixings and steel carbines, solid (not detachable) rings. For miniature and decorative rocks, it is not so much the strap strength that is important as its lightness and softness of the material.
For such dogs, it is better to choose velor or nylon straps. For short-faced dogs – pugs, small bulldogs, chihuahuas and others – the harness is better than collars, because they are easier to breathe due to their physiological characteristics.
As an alternative element of ammunition for walking and training has a large number of fans among dog owners. Its value is explained by the creation of the most comfortable conditions for animals, allowing them to properly distribute the load on the skeleton and avoid possible injuries.
To get the perfect result, It is important to choose the correct size .
Too tight or, conversely, too free, it not only does not help your four-legged friend to train, but also harms.
How to measure a dog when choosing Harness?
The basic principle of the harness – tight fit of the dog’s body and proper load distribution . Belts should not move, sag or, on the contrary, severely bump into the skin. That is why it is so important to accurately determine the size of the stitches.
How to measure a dog for the selection of specialized shleek?
The straps for the weight pulling or extra belts, which undoubtedly also need to be fitted perfectly. It is necessary to measure:
Knowing how to measure a dog for harness, you can easily shop online. After conducting the necessary measurements, choose the model that best suits your pet. However, we understand that sometimes it is not enough to determine the size of the stubs of the two parameters. Individual features of the hull structure can make their own adjustments If the purchase does not suit your pet, you can return it or change it to a more convenient model.
- The belt should not crawl around the dog’s neck.
- Between the neck strap and the skin should be two fingers.
- The back straps should be slightly apart from the dog’s front paws so as not to rub the skin when moving.
- Pull on the leash – while the front strap should not crawl onto the trachea!
And only after you make sure that the harness fits perfectly, you can start training and active walks. We wish your four-legged friend good health and success!
I often advise the owners on the run to change the collar to the harness, but there are different models of shlek – how to choose the best? What to advise? Very often people buy a harness, even for a lot of money – and it turns out to be so uncomfortable that a dog cannot walk in it. And the owners are back to the collar again …
In this article, we will look at different types of harnesses and it will immediately become clear which stitch is “correct” and which is not, and why.
When choosing a harness, you need to follow only a few simple rules, the most important of which is that the harness strap should not rest on the dog’s neck. If the dog starts wheezing and coughing when pulling the leash, it means that the harness presses on the trachea – there is no sense in such a harness, since its main difference from the collar is that the dog’s neck remains free and is not injured when the leash is pulled. It is best to choose a harness, the front belts of which lie on the sides of the dog’s neck, on the sternum in the form of a letter Y. The harness needs to be adjusted so that the belt connection is at the place where the shoulder blades converge and the chest bone begins. This place is easy to identify by simply feeling the dog. 🙂 The main thing is that the connection of the belts should not lie higher on the unprotected neck of the animal.
In addition, the harness straps should not hamper the movement of the dog while walking or running – the shoulder blades and shoulders should be free.
The harness straps that are located behind the dog’s front legs must be at the distance of the palm width from the armpits, otherwise the harness will rub the skin when moving. It is necessary to adjust the harness in such a way that a palm passes between the straps and the body of the dog.
In order to prevent the harness from pulling on the dog’s neck when pulling the leash, it is necessary to have a spinal longitudinal strap. In this case, the attachment point of the leash should be located at the end of this belt, on the back of the dog, and not on the withers or on the chest.
And of course, an important condition – the harness should be sewn from soft but durable materials. On the street it is often dirty, especially in spring and autumn, the harness needs to be washed frequently, otherwise it will die and start causing discomfort to the dog. In addition, if the harness is made of cheap materials, the dog may tear it during a walk or play with other dogs. This is the moment that is not worth saving; quality things are not cheap, but their price over time pays off. In no case should not buy coarsely stitched harness, with protruding seams and rivets. Tarpaulins of leather and leather are not recommended – these are very tough and non-elastic materials that will rub the dog’s skin, spoil the coat (and in long-haired dogs, the wool may stray into mats). In addition, leather harnesses weigh a lot, which can also be uncomfortable for the dog. The harness should be light, to encircle the body of the dog softly and tightly, repeating its contours and not constraining movements. The straps should not be too wide (they will hinder movement of the dog) or too narrow (they will crash into the body when the leash is pulled).
I think that now, looking at the photos below, you yourself can easily say what is wrong with the presented models of shleek.
This model has collected all the possible flaws in itself. 🙂 The horizontal belt lies right on the dog’s neck and will press under the tension of the leash. The back strap is missing, which will also contribute to moving the strap up, around the neck. At the same time, the belt that fits the chest, will leave the dog’s armpits and rub them. In addition, the connection of the belts lies on the shoulder blades, which will obviously constrain the dog when moving.
This model does not have a lower belt running through the sternum – in this way the front ring will act as a collar. Buying such a harness does not make sense at all.
This type of harness is quite popular. However, there is the same problem as the first strap, which we considered – the front strap falls on the trachea, even when the leash is not tensioned. The lack of a spinal belt and belts on the shoulder blades also do not add comfort to this harness – it will interfere with the dog when walking and running.
The same – the front strap presses on the dog’s neck. In general, this is a very common drawback of many models of shleyk – their manufacturers do not test, or what? In addition, this model has a very large surface area, which also constrains the dog, without adding comfort to it.
Canvas harness with the same drawbacks as the third model. In addition, tarpaulin is a coarse material, it can rub the dog’s skin and roll wool into mats.
This type of harness does not have a back belt, so when pulling the leash, they will lift up and put pressure on the dog’s neck. The material is very rough – thick skin, in addition, a lot of rivets and buckles, which can cause discomfort to the dog, rub the skin.
And this is the best harness 🙂 It is light, soft and durable, equipped with a longitudinal spinal strap and in the front is Y-shaped, so it will not put pressure on the dog’s trachea even with a strong leash tension. In addition, dog blades are free, so the harness will not hold down movements. Vega has just such a harness, the firm Haqihana.
There is such a variant of the harness – it is also “correct” in all respects and also has a soft supplement in the chest area. In such a harness, the dog will not feel discomfort even if it is strongly torn on a leash. This is especially true of females – a soft addition of the band will eliminate accidental injury to the mammary glands, which are located on the sides of the body almost to the very top of the breast. However, you need to carefully consider the regulation of the harness, so that the soft insert at the front should not be located on the trachea in any case (see photo above – incorrectly adjusted harness).
In conclusion, I would like to add that, of course, the harnesses of manufacturers such as Haqihana and Ferplast are not very cheap, but they will serve you faithfully for many years, so it will pay off with interest. Not to mention that your dog will feel comfortable and comfortable in them.
According to the materials of the article by Maria Oreshkova “Everything about a competent choice of braces”, https://intelligentdog.wordpress.com
Harnesses for dogs in our time to become a popular accessory that replaces the classic collar. Each of the products intended for walking a pet has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore, it is necessary to understand what a stitching is, how to choose the right size for your pet and what is the main advantage of the strap to the collar?
What is a harness, its types
Special ammunition for dogs, which gradually displaces the collar, is called a harness.
Its difference is that it is mounted not on the neck, but on the body of the animal. Most often, it is made of leather or strong matter in the form of belts that girdle the chest and body of a dog, connecting between the front paws along the ridge.
Experienced dog breeders claim that this ammunition is more practical and safe for the pet, since with a sharp tightening of the leash the animal does not experience pain in the neck, which is fraught when wearing a collar. How looks shleya, you can see in the photo below.
The classification of the plugs is impressive, their main difference lies in the purpose for which the ammunition will serve and on the size of the pet itself.
Consider the types of loops:
- Riding harness for dogs. Most often they can be found on pets who participate in sports competitions, in particular during dog sledding races. The towing type of this harness implies increased belt strength. The preferred material is nylon or canvas. Great for harness malamute and husky.
- Harness with loads . They are used in order to strengthen the muscle mass of the dog, especially useful in case of fractures in the animal. Special pockets on the belts allow you to adjust the physical load of the pet. The use of this type of stitches involves monitoring the training of the dog, in particular, it is necessary to exclude jumping. As an alternative, it is permissible to use a collar with a load, most often small. Its use is necessary to prepare a young pet for more serious weights. The collar with weights is suitable for large and medium breeds of dogs (for example, Jack Russell Terrier), for smaller breeds it is better to avoid such ammunition, as it can injure the neck of the pet.
- Harness-vest . An original accessory for a pet with short fur, which will help to further warm it. Ideal for small pets, which is not desirable load on the neck, such as Spitz or Chihuahua. In addition, this type is used for medical purposes, the best structure of the ammunition captures most of the dog’s torso, and the mount located near the hind legs allows you to transfer the load to the front limbs.
- Walking stitching. Most often it is made of thin material, such as leather or nylon. Constant use implies that such a collar for dogs through the paws will “sit around the figure” and not interfere with the animal.
- Guard . The most durable option of all. Usually it is double-layered and more stitched, with stitched straps and welded rings, with the help of which the dog binds to the roadblock. Strong material will not allow the animal to break.
- Stitching for puppies. Light and soft option to reduce the load on the spine. Begin to wear should be after six months of age, when the skeleton of an animal is fully formed, and the muscles strengthen enough. Remember that an untimely dressed shley can significantly damage the health of a little pet.
A harness or collar for a dog: which is better
Canine scholars argue a lot about this, on the one hand the collar is better suited for training, and on the other, the risk of injuring his neck is much higher. Therefore, in your choice, be guided, first of all, by the size of the pet.
In addition, keep in mind that for example, for a pug with its flattened face and girth smaller than the girth of the neck, wearing collars is simply contraindicated. This is a problematic breed in terms of wearing a collar, as it will either subside or significantly injure the animal..
Proper harness makes breathing easier for breeds such as the Pekingese, Bulldog and Yorkshire Terrier.
The use of shley and for large breeds. Most often this is due to sports, such as towing a skier or just the development of muscles. In this case, various types of harnesses made of high-strength material and cargo harnesses will simplify this task for you, as experienced dog specialists are involved in their work with veterinarians.
Experts say that the use of a collar, especially with frequent and sharp twitching, not only creates a prerequisite for injury to a pet, it also increases its aggressiveness.
This is due to the fact that the animal’s airways overlap. In order to avoid this – use a harness. Its design allows the dog to feel more comfortable, which will significantly simplify control over the pet.
About harness for puppies
If we talk about the best options for a puppy, then the opinion is unequivocal, as it is permissible to use the harness only after 6 months of life. This should be a convenient and good option that will not put pressure on the immature spine.
If we are talking about a large breed puppy, who will continue to play sports, then use a collar with weights, starting from the age of one. Such measures will allow a smooth transition to the cargo harness without harming the dog.
The use of harness suggests some drawbacks, especially if we talk about decorative and short-legged rocks (for example, dachshunds). Small pets may suffer from overload of the knee joints, which is associated with the physiological characteristics of their structure in these breeds. Therefore, it is a good decision to alternate wearing a harness and collar up to a year of life.
The final decision in choosing an accessory should be made only after consulting a veterinarian or an experienced dog breeder, as well as focusing on the feelings of the pet, as some of them are happy to wear collars, while others prefer only harness.
How to choose a harness for a dog in size?
After reviewing the types of shleek and their main advantages, you should proceed to how to choose the correct ammunition, based on the size of the pet.
But before that, we list the basic properties that a quality product should have:
- good washable, soft material;
- all fasteners must be tightly fitted to the belts and not cause inconvenience when wearing or wearing;
- leather belts with adjustable size;
To determine the optimal size of the harnesses for each particular pet, it is necessary to carry out the following measurements:
- Neck, at the location of the collar.
- The chest girth, its measurement is made in the widest place, adding 2 cm to the result.
- The back is from the withers to the start of the tail.
Usually there is a special table with dimensions at the points of sale of the shlek, guided by which it is possible to choose the right gear for the dog. Keep in mind, if your animal does not fall into a certain size, it is better to take a harness for growth than a small one. The picture shows a detailed diagram of which areas and where to measure.
Harness for large breed dogs
Features of the choice of shley for large breeds depend, first of all, on what purposes they are bought for. For watchdogs, the main characteristic will be the strength and comfort of the ammunition, for sled dogs – a perfectly fitted accessory that will not dangle and distract while running.
Please note that the traction harness requires special measurements, which are related to the specificity of the structure.
Riding dog needs to be measured:
- the length of the chest;
- distance from the beginning of the chest to the withers;
- length of the segment from the end of the chest to the beginning of the tail;
Remember that the perfect accessory should neither squeeze the dog’s body nor hang out. Under the harness should be placed the human palm. The approximate price for different sizes of shleek for dogs of large breeds will be slightly higher, due to the fact that more material is spent on their production.
Braid for dogs of medium breeds
If your pet falls under the size of M and L, then the prices for riding harnesses for it will range from 1,200 to 1,500 rubles, and vests from 2,200 to 3,000 rubles. The cost will be largely due to the material from which the accessory will be made.
So leather harness will be much more expensive than nylon.
However, remember that if you decide to purchase your pet a harness with a weighting agent, then do not try to hang the maximum load on it at once, accustom the animal to the goods a little to avoid injuries and deformations of the body.
Harness for dogs of small breeds
For breeds that are not distinguished by their large size, fur lined waistcoats are perfect, they will look elegant on miniature pets and additionally warm them during the cold season. You can choose a harness by size using simple steps to measure the animal, which are listed above. The price of ammunition for small dogs will cost: vests – from 1200 to 1600 p., Riding harnesses – from 800 to 1000 p.
At the conclusion we can say that the harness has proven itself among dog handlers and has become a worthy alternative to the collar. It is organically suitable for both domestic use and for sports. The special visual appearance of the accessory makes the pet a stylish animal. Observing the recommendations of experts to wear a harness, you can increase the pet’s health and make walks for it even more comfortable.