How To Make A Harness For The Dog At Home, How To Wear A Harness With Your Own Hands
What is a harness?
The first accessories, similar to a harness, were used in ancient times in dog sledding. At present, the harness for dogs are attributes in the form of two straps that pass through the chest through the torso. They are connected on the ridge of the pet, as well as between the front paws.
According to experts, this accessory is more acceptable in contrast to the collar. A harness for dogs allows you to evenly and correctly spread the load on the animal’s skeleton. In this accessory, the animal feels more comfortable and calm. Moreover, the pet owner has the ability to lock the dog in the desired position.
But if before, leather harnesses for dogs made by hand were used exclusively in sledding, today their field of application has expanded. Most breeders choose these attributes because they allow you to control the animal reliably without affecting its throat. But if the dog is not raised, he can also show his temperament in the harness. That is, it is not worth hoping that in the harness it will cease to escape during the walk.
Let’s start with the advantages:
- You can control your pet well without letting it run away.
- The breeder will be able to adjust the distance between him and the animal.
- A harness for dogs is an excellent option to teach your pet to a leash, so it is often used by dog breeders while the puppy is at an early age.
- Special cargo attributes that you can do yourself, perfectly suited for the implementation of training.
- The attribute is quite possible to sew their own hands at home.
Also, the accessory has drawbacks:
- If a dog is very active and is not given so that you can put a harness on him (and this often happens with puppies), the process may take some time.
- If at least one clasp is not securely fastened, it can lead to the fact that the dog simply breaks off during a walk and runs away.
- Too soft materials tear quickly, especially if your pet is a large breed.
- If you do not go on time to the collar, the dog will quickly get used to it. Accordingly, it will be more difficult to translate it.
Many say that dogs walking on a harness have fewer problems with the locomotor system, and they are much friendlier.
The advantages of the harness include:
- opportunity to sew it with your own hands,
- convenience of intercepting an animal in an emergency.
The disadvantage: quick addiction, which does not allow to go to the collar, especially for large dogs. Pet can not always be in the harness, it is only an accessory for a walk or a workout.
A harness is a special dog gear that replaces a collar. Mounted on the body of the dog, and not on the neck.
It consists of leather or cloth belts that run through the chest and through the body and are connected along the ridge between the front legs.
In such an accessory, the quadruped feels much better, because unlike the collar, which, with sudden leaps of the leash, causes pain to the dog in the neck, does not injure the pet.
Do not wear a pet skin on a pet in rainy or wet weather, as it may mold.
Meaning and Varieties
There are a lot of types of attributes, we will consider each of them:
- Driving. This option is done specifically for certain sizes of pet. It is considered sporty and usually in order to sew it, a canvas or nylon is used.
- Sports options. There may be several types. Freight used for training, as well as maintaining physical fitness. Special options with weights are equipped with additional pockets where these loads are installed. If the dog will be engaged in trace work, then a special attribute may be used that fits tightly to the body.
- Walking options. Divided into several types – for small and large breeds. For small dogs, attributes are most popular, they are equipped with additional handles on the back, but they can be without them. Options for large breeds are not allowed to be used on service and fighting animals, as well as overly aggressive dogs.
- Special medical option. Can be used if your pet has problems with its hind legs. Dress should be about 2/3 of the body.
- Attribute for puppies. It is one of the most popular options. According to experts, when the puppy is 6 months old, he can wear a special harness that will allow the pectoral muscles to develop well.
- Glowing options. It is better not to use it on an ongoing basis, since the bulbs with which they are equipped distract the dog’s attention (the author of the video is Dog Training).
Since a husky dog collar is not the optimal solution, harnesses were developed for this breed and others. This is a riding gear that allows an animal to carry loads of varying degrees of severity without discomfort.
Its design consists of two belts that have four points of contact. They gird the pet through the chest and pass further along the body. Thanks to such a device, the load is distributed evenly over the entire body of the dog, without pressing on the neck and leaving the limbs free.
There are the following types of shleek:
- walking leash – used for daily walks. In a pair to him goes the usual collar. It is made of strong and durable material;
- for puppies. Leash babies should be worn from 7-10 months. Puppies are recommended to sew harness with their own hands in order to choose the most convenient size;
- for representatives of decorative breeds (for example, dwarf poodles, Yorkshire terrier, chihuahua, etc.). Such devices are equipped with handles on the back. Products for small pets are varied: from soft vests to standard shley;
- for dogs of large breeds. These animals are capable of dragging heavy loads. Their training should include serious physical activity. The harness for such pets is called cargo;
- exhibition products. They are a decorative accessory that is often used at exhibitions and various competitions;
- Trace-leather leather harness. Such products are intended for service dogs working in the field of tracing;
- riders. Connect to the harness. Used in a riding sport in which both people and dogs take part;
- medical. Used for injured or paralyzed pets.
Any kind of harness can be made by hand.
All harness are divided into several types depending on their purpose:
- The harness for dogs for every day (walking) is made of durable and long-lived materials, usually made of leather or nylon.
- Medical harness-vest. Designed for walking with an injured pet, such models capture most of the body of the animal, the mount is located near the hind legs, and helps your pet to move with support on the front limbs.
- Harnesses for large breeds. Most recently, it was believed that walking in harness is only available for dogs of small size. But today, manufacturers have presented products for large quadrupeds, such as: Alabai, Kangal, Hovawart, German boxer, Tosa Inu, etc. Such models have a special design that does not allow the pet to pull the leash, such walking becomes more convenient not only for the animal, but also for its owner.
- Harnesses for small dogs. In the market of shleek most models are presented for small pets (German Spitz, Miniature Pinscher, Affenpinscher, Dwarf Dachshund). They have a different design, material, color, and most importantly – provide the comfort of finding a dog in it.
- Braid for puppies. It is necessary to teach a puppy to this kind of dog ammunition only 6–9 months after birth, since at this time, the skeleton of the dog is formed, muscles strengthen. And at the wrong time put on the harness can harm the health of the puppy.
- Accessories for dog shows and exhibitions. The purpose of such models is to emphasize the external advantages of the four-legged "star", due to the beautiful finishes and bright accessories.
- Products for dogs riding breeds. This type is intended solely for riding activity using such dogs as the Malamute, Samoyed and Husky, therefore they are made of durable material and have a special design. Driving breeds of dogs can save a person in case of snow blockages after an avalanche or serve as transport in snowy areas. Therefore, the harness for them should be as comfortable and durable as possible.
- Harnesses with cargo (freight). Needed to keep the dog in good physical shape, as well as to prepare the four-legged to compete. Can be used in two versions. The dog pulls the load attached to the harness, or loads of different weights are put in special pockets, and the pet trains with them.
- Accessories in the form of vests. Designed for animals with short fur, and serves as a heater for them. Usually such vests are worn on small dogs.
Such products come in a variety of colors and sizes.
Next we look at how to sew a harness for dogs. We offer step by step instructions:
- Take your measurements as indicated above. After that, make a pattern, considering the seam allowances. If you choose nylon for sewing, the allowance will be 2 cm. In the case of leather, leave 5 mm on the seams.
- Put the pattern on the selected lining material and cut the lining. Make a line on the inside of the future harness.
- Attaching the pattern, cut the product around the perimeter and stitch a soft braid. On the straps make the lines also from the outside.
- We collect the product. Mount steel rings on the back. In order to make an adjustable leash, also attach rings to the straps.
- Select the decor of the product. If you are the owner of a small dog, then it can be bright stickers, bows, multi-colored pebbles, beads.
- Cut the blank strip, which will be held on the back of the harness, it will be attached to two ring for a leash. The width of the workpiece should correspond to their internal diameter. Fold as shown below, iron the folds. Fold as shown below, iron the folds.
- Cut a piece of adhesive material of the same size, attach it to the back side. Do not iron!
- Pass the strip through the two D-rings.
- Position the resulting element in the center of the outer layer as in the photo, iron it well.
- Arrange the cut pieces as follows: first, the lining face down, on top of it – the seal, on top – the main material face up, as in the figure. As a result, the base and lining will be turned to each other on the wrong side, and there will be a seal between them.
- Run the finishing tape along the contour, first sweep to fix, then stitch.
- Sew along the contour as well as around the D-rings, as shown in the photo.
- Sew velcro (better with your own hands, not on a typewriter) to the harness.
If there is no desire to tinker with the finish, you can sew a waist-harness in another way. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above.
- Cut the blank strip, which will pass on the back, to it will be attached two ring for a leash. The width of the workpiece should correspond to their internal diameter. Fold as shown below, iron the folds. Fold as shown below, iron the folds.
- Cut a piece of adhesive material of the same size, attach it to the back side. Do not iron!
- Pass the lane through two D-rings.
- Position the resulting element in the center of the outer layer, as shown in the figure, iron it well.
- Attach the strip to the base, and also make the stitching around the D-rings, as shown in the photo.
- Put the lining on the base, front side to the front.
- Place a compactor on top of it, as shown in the photo.
- Sew the product along the edge, leaving a non-sewn hole through which you will twist.
- Turn the vest face out and stitch a hole on the typewriter or by hand.
- Stroke it, if you wish, you can make stitching.
- Sew Velcro.
You have just made the most convenient harness you can imagine with your own hands! Congratulations!