A harness for dogs is by no means a fad, but a serious device, originally invented as a harness for dogs. Its design feature was that it did not cause discomfort to the animal performing its professional duties: did not violate the processes of breathing and evenly distributed the load. Modern harness has changed somewhat in appearance and began to be used not only for driving, but also for other needs. It is worth considering their properties and features in more detail.
Types of shlek for dogs
The harness is a special ammunition, as well as a leash with a collar. However, it has some advantages. If the dog pulls forward, the collar can cause physical harm to the pet, which cannot happen with the harness. Yes, and control the wayward animal in the presence of a harness is much easier. But here everything is not so simple and it is not always possible to use this device.
Harness are divided into types, depending on the area of their use:
- Normal harness for walking. In this design, the fastening ring is at the level of the dog’s withers. Most often, these harnesses are used for everyday walks with a four-legged friend. It is possible to find devices on sale, both for absolutely small pets, and rather large representatives of breeds.
- Harness towing. This ammunition has several other goals – for sporting events, sledding races, transportation of goods, as well as a device for guide dogs. Among its differences from conventional shlek it is possible to note the main thing – the increased strength of fasteners and the belts themselves.
- Harness with cargo. Used to train the muscles of the animal, has the ability to regulate the mass of the load. When it is worn, the dog’s muscle mass is strengthened, this is especially necessary with pet’s limb fractures, as well as to prepare the dog for competition.
It is important to know that many experts do not recommend the constant wearing of the bracelet, it is necessary to periodically replace it with a regular collar. Moreover, studies have shown that dogs wearing always only a collar are often diagnosed problems of the neck and spinal cord. Especially this tendency is clearly seen in active, restless dogs, which are often torn from leashes, and pets, which are shown on a spike collar or chain.
When choosing a harness, you should always be guided by the size of the pet. For puppies, it is recommended to purchase special tools in any case not for growth. The harness for large dogs should be appropriate.
What material is better to buy a harness
In addition to the scope of use, you should also pay attention to the material from which the device is made. This is especially important when choosing a harness for decent sized dogs.
The most practical are the stitches made of synthetic materials. They are not susceptible to moisture, are easily cleaned of impurities by ordinary washing, have high durability and are quite durable.
The most inexpensive among budget options are braces made of canvas tape. This material has high strength, but its wear rate is higher. In addition, the tarpaulin harness is difficult to wash off, the material tends to get wet and dries for a long time.
If you look at the appearance, it is definitely the most beautiful are genuine leather belts. But it should be borne in mind that after wetting the skin loses its elasticity and may lose its shape, stretching. Having dried it, in most cases, it becomes rough and its surface may crack. Leather harnesses are undoubtedly beautiful, but they are expensive products and at the same time impractical.
In what cases there is a need to wear Harness
In addition to the specific need associated with the activities of the pet, there are additional situations that require wearing braces. For example, if a dog is too active, constantly trying to break off the leash, thereby causing injury to himself. In this case, in order not to worsen the condition of the dog and not to cause additional attacks of aggression associated with pain, you can switch from a collar to a harness for a while.
In addition, for some breeds with a larger neck circumference than heads, a collar is not a good option. Since when tilting his head, he slides off the dog. For dwarf dogs, such as a toy terrier or Yorkshire terrier, it is also more practical to use harness.
Dogs that naturally have a short, flattened face (pikines, pti-brabancon, pugs, bulldogs, Japanese chin, etc.) have problems with the respiratory system, and collars can cause discomfort. And in this case, the situation can be corrected by using a harness that will allow them to breathe more freely.
At what age can a dog wear a harness
It is possible to dress a pet of small breeds in a harness, starting from six months, and larger dogs – from 8-10 months. Experts have found that too early getting used to such ammunition can provoke deformation of the front limbs out.
The rapid development of this pathology is facilitated by improper fastening of the harness – this happens if the belt that encircles the pet’s body passes too close to the muscle cavity. This situation causes the dog inconvenience, and she tries to twist his elbows to ease the discomfort. After two or three weeks of wearing such a harness, the correct positioning of the paws will deteriorate. If an individual is a representative of a show class, you will have to forget about exhibitions with such a defect.
How to choose the harness
To facilitate the task, there are special tables indicating dimensions. To use them, you need to know some measurements of the dog:
- The length of the back is measured from the withers to the base of the tail.
- Chest circumference – the correct measurement is made in place, immediately behind the elbows, 1 cm for small dogs is added to the size obtained, and 2 cm for large dogs.
- Girth of the neck – covers the place where the collar is supposed to be.
For riding shlek for dogs measurements are taken somewhat different, this is due to the design feature:
- The distance from the beginning of the sternum to withers.
- The length of the chest.
- The length of the segment from the end of the sternum to the base of the tail.
If the accessory is chosen correctly, it will not hang out, but it will not be able to squeeze the pet’s body. Under the harness should be placed the human palm.
How to wear a harness on a pet
Already during the fitting you should know how to properly put the harness on the dog. You can follow the step by step instructions:
- If the dog has a wild character, then it is necessary to fix it before the procedure. You can do this by holding the torso of the animal in the back area between your legs.
- The harness should be straightened so that the soft surface is inside the structure.
- The ring-shaped closed part of the harness is carefully put on the pet (its parameters vary depending on the size of the dog).
- The strap is located to the required position. If done correctly, the space between the jumper and the circular part is limited.
- Without stopping the action, it is necessary to push the dog’s paw into the space between the strap and the closed circle.
- The jumper should slip through the pet’s chest without any problems, but on the right side there will be a strap.
- If all the dressing rules are followed, then one side of the structure will be free. It is necessary to push it through the muscle cavity of the dog’s left paw, and then the strap fastens.
The final step is to correct the stitches. To do this, the dog is placed on the floor, the circle around his neck gets better so that the belts do not exert pressure on the neck, but at the same time they lay tight. After the whole procedure, it is necessary to check whether all mechanisms are buttoned.
Of course, the first dressing of the harness may seem complicated and time consuming. However, as practice shows, a pair of donning and everything will return to normal, the pet will get used to it, and the owner of the dog will get experience and a certain skill in this matter.
What to use – a harness or a collar, the pet owner decides for himself, however it is important to think, first of all, about the convenience and safety of the pet.