How To Choose The Right Size Harness For The Dog
Harnesses for dogs in our time to become a popular accessory that replaces the classic collar. Each of the products intended for walking a pet has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore, it is necessary to understand what a stitching is, how to choose the right size for your pet and what is the main advantage of the strap to the collar?
What is a harness, its types
Special ammunition for dogs, which gradually displaces the collar, is called a harness.
Its difference is that it is mounted not on the neck, but on the body of the animal. Most often, it is made of leather or strong matter in the form of belts that girdle the chest and body of a dog, connecting between the front paws along the ridge.
Experienced dog breeders claim that this ammunition is more practical and safe for the pet, since with a sharp tightening of the leash the animal does not experience pain in the neck, which is fraught when wearing a collar. How looks shleya, you can see in the photo below.
The classification of the plugs is impressive, their main difference lies in the purpose for which the ammunition will serve and on the size of the pet itself.
Consider the types of loops:
- Riding harness for dogs. Most often they can be found on pets who participate in sports competitions, in particular during dog sledding races. The towing type of this harness implies increased belt strength. The preferred material is nylon or canvas. Great for harness malamute and husky.
- Harness with loads. They are used in order to strengthen the muscle mass of the dog, especially useful in case of fractures in the animal. Special pockets on the belts allow you to adjust the physical load of the pet. The use of this type of stitches involves monitoring the training of the dog, in particular, it is necessary to exclude jumping. As an alternative, it is permissible to use a collar with a load, most often small. Its use is necessary to prepare a young pet for more serious weights. The collar with weights is suitable for large and medium breeds of dogs (for example, Jack Russell Terrier), for smaller breeds it is better to avoid such ammunition, as it can injure the neck of the pet.
- Harness-vest. An original accessory for a pet with short fur, which will help to further warm it. Ideal for small pets, which is not desirable load on the neck, such as Spitz or Chihuahua. In addition, this type is used for medical purposes, the best structure of the ammunition captures most of the dog’s torso, and the mount located near the hind legs allows you to transfer the load to the front limbs.
- Walking stitching. Most often it is made of thin material, such as leather or nylon. Constant use implies that such a collar for dogs through the paws will “sit around the figure” and not interfere with the animal.
- Guard. The most durable option of all. Usually it is double-layered and more stitched, with stitched straps and welded rings, with the help of which the dog binds to the roadblock. Strong material will not allow the animal to break.
- Stitching for puppies. Light and soft option to reduce the load on the spine. Begin to wear should be after six months of age, when the skeleton of an animal is fully formed, and the muscles strengthen enough. Remember that an untimely dressed shley can significantly damage the health of a little pet.
A harness or collar for a dog: which is better
Canine scholars argue a lot about this, on the one hand the collar is better suited for training, and on the other, the risk of injuring his neck is much higher. Therefore, in your choice, be guided, first of all, by the size of the pet.
In addition, keep in mind that for example, for a pug with its flattened face and girth smaller than the girth of the neck, wearing collars is simply contraindicated. This is a problematic breed in terms of wearing a collar, as it will either subside or significantly injure the animal..
Proper harness makes breathing easier for breeds such as the Pekingese, Bulldog and Yorkshire Terrier.
The use of shley and for large breeds. Most often this is due to sports, such as towing a skier or just the development of muscles. In this case, various types of harnesses made of high-strength material and cargo harnesses will simplify this task for you, as experienced dog specialists are involved in their work with veterinarians.
Experts say that the use of a collar, especially with frequent and sharp twitching, not only creates a prerequisite for injury to a pet, it also increases its aggressiveness.
This is due to the fact that the animal’s airways overlap. In order to avoid this – use a harness. Its design allows the dog to feel more comfortable, which will significantly simplify control over the pet.
About harness for puppies
If we talk about the best options for a puppy, then the opinion is unequivocal, as it is permissible to use the harness only after 6 months of life. This should be a convenient and good option that will not put pressure on the immature spine.
If we are talking about a large breed puppy, who will continue to play sports, then use a collar with weights, starting from the age of one. Such measures will allow a smooth transition to the cargo harness without harming the dog.
The use of harness suggests some drawbacks, especially if we talk about decorative and short-legged rocks (for example, dachshunds). Small pets may suffer from overload of the knee joints, which is associated with the physiological characteristics of their structure in these breeds. Therefore, it is a good decision to alternate wearing a harness and collar up to a year of life.
The final decision in choosing an accessory should be made only after consulting a veterinarian or an experienced dog breeder, as well as focusing on the feelings of the pet, as some of them are happy to wear collars, while others prefer only harness.
Free choice is not recommended, as it can cause an animal to be injured.
How to choose a harness for a dog in size?
After reviewing the types of shleek and their main advantages, you should proceed to how to choose the correct ammunition, based on the size of the pet.
But before that, we list the basic properties that a quality product should have:
- good washable, soft material;
- all fasteners must be tightly fitted to the belts and not cause inconvenience when wearing or wearing;
- leather belts with adjustable size;
To determine the optimal size of the harnesses for each particular pet, it is necessary to carry out the following measurements:
- Neck, at the location of the collar.
- The chest girth, its measurement is made in the widest place, adding 2 cm to the result.
- The back is from the withers to the start of the tail.
Usually there is a special table with dimensions at the points of sale of the shlek, guided by which it is possible to choose the right gear for the dog. Keep in mind, if your animal does not fall into a certain size, it is better to take a harness for growth than a small one. The picture shows a detailed diagram of which areas and where to measure.
Also recommend taking a look at this video:
Harness for large breed dogs
Features of the choice of shley for large breeds depend, first of all, on what purposes they are bought for. For watchdogs, the main characteristic will be the strength and comfort of the ammunition, for sled dogs – a perfectly fitted accessory that will not dangle and distract while running.
Please note that the traction harness requires special measurements, which are related to the specificity of the structure.
Riding dog needs to be measured:
- the length of the chest;
- distance from the beginning of the chest to the withers;
- length of the segment from the end of the chest to the beginning of the tail;
Remember that the perfect accessory should neither squeeze the dog’s body nor hang out. Under the harness should be placed the human palm. The approximate price for different sizes of shleek for dogs of large breeds will be slightly higher, due to the fact that more material is spent on their production.
Braid for dogs of medium breeds
If your pet falls under the size of M and L, then the prices for riding harnesses for it will range from 1,200 to 1,500 rubles, and vests from 2,200 to 3,000 rubles. The cost will be largely due to the material from which the accessory will be made.
So leather harness will be much more expensive than nylon.
However, remember that if you decide to purchase a harness with your weighting agent for your pet, then do not try to hang the maximum load on it immediately, accustom the animal to the cargo gradually in order to avoid injuries and deformations of the body.
Harness for dogs of small breeds
For breeds that are not distinguished by their large size, fur lined waistcoats are perfect, they will look elegant on miniature pets and additionally warm them during the cold season. You can choose a harness by size using simple steps to measure the animal, which are listed above. The price of ammunition for small dogs will cost: vests – from 1200 to 1600 p., Riding harnesses – from 800 to 1000 p.
At the conclusion we can say that the harness has proven itself among dog handlers and has become a worthy alternative to the collar. It is organically suitable for both domestic use and for sports. The special visual appearance of the accessory makes the pet a stylish animal. Observing the recommendations of experts to wear a harness, you can increase the pet’s health and make walks for it even more comfortable.