How To Put A Harness On A Dog
The knowledge of the harness does not come in handy for many owners, since their pet walks all the time in a collar and knows no grief.
However, there are cases when you can not do without Harness. In the article we will tell about the variety and give instructions on how to wear a harness.
When a harness is needed
The harness is a complex interweaving of straps and rings. It covers the animal under the breast, attached between its front paws. The main advantage of this design – no pressure on the neck, a dog that pulls the leash, does not pinch the trachea and does not hurt.
It is recommended for use:
- If the neck is damaged. Tumor, contusion, cervical osteochondrosis, healing wound – all this collar only further injures. A harness will not have any impact.
- If the animal is nervous, impetuous, and often pulls the leash in an effort to run, in the desire to quickly meet with other dogs, then catch the bird. Constant pressure on the trachea has a bad effect on the nervous system and on the spine, as well as sharp jerks, therefore it is better to prefer a harness.
- If the animal can turn out of the collar. Characteristic skill for street dogs who value their freedom and seek to win it at any cost.
- If the animal is small. Chihuahua, toy terrier and other babies are too fragile – a sharp jerk will easily break their neck. Therefore, it is better to play it safe and put on a harness.
- If the animal belongs to the breed, whose neck is short and breathing is difficult. These are brachycephalous – pugs, Pekingese, bulldogs and other flat-faced dogs, which are immediately affected by any lack of oxygen.
Service breeds also wear a harness; they need to carry something with them or be able to constantly tighten the leash without harming themselves. A special stitching is put on the Huskies and Malamutes, who run in harness, as well as on large dogs during physical exercises that require free breathing.
By and large, any pet should be taught to harness, it doesn’t matter if it’s a huge dane or little lapdog. One day the habit can come in handy.
From what age
Despite all the advantages of bracing, putting it on puppies is a bad idea. In babies, bones and skeletal structure are still being formed. Constant pressure on the chest and back provokes pathologies – osteochondrosis, joint problems, improper development of the bone skeleton.
Puppies of small breeds are worn with it for half a year, and at first not for long – no longer than a half hour walk. Puppies of large breeds are allowed from eight months.
There are, however, special accessories for puppies. They have soft belts, wide comfortable slings, few elements that put pressure on the body. To buy this or not is completely the decision of the owner. There is not much difference, to obedience a two-month-old puppy or half-year-old puppy.
The first step is not to catch the pet at all and stick its head in the hole intended for it. The first step is to choose an accessory that suits him specifically.
Plays a role, first, a version:
More important stuff. Tarpaulin serves for a short time and dries for a long time, but is quite comfortable. The skin serves for a long time, but it is quickly deformed in adverse environmental conditions, and even dogs love to nibble it. Nylon or kapron are quite durable and serve for a long time, but can cause allergies.
It is also important that the design is suitable for a particular animal:
- for babies take soft materials that will not rub, a minimum of rings and belts;
- for large calm dogs take strong materials, but the design is chosen at will;
- for gusty large dogs, extremely strong materials, cast rings and a stitched construction are taken.
Only when the harness is selected, you can take to trying to put it on.
There are two ways to wear an accessory. The first of these will be more appropriate in the case of large breed. We must act confidently and firmly:
- Inspect the design and find out where it fits. One strap should be on the chest, the other under the breast, the third to cover a little lower than the chest.
- Call the dog and fix it. Fixation should not be painful or too aggressive – just put the pet between the knees and slightly squeeze its sides, so that he understands what they want from him and did not move.
- Raise the left paw, bend it at the elbow and quickly push it into the hole between the straps, designed specifically for this.
- Tighten the straps higher and repeat the same trick with the right paw – quickly lift from the floor and push into the correct hole.
- Tighten the straps so that they tightly covered the chest, and snap the carabiner at the withers.
- Check whether everything is in order – if the belts are not twisted, if they are hanging down or under pressure. If something is wrong, the length of the belts is easy to adjust with retainers.
- The final touch is to fasten a leash to the carabiner.
After that, it remains only to praise the dog for not resisting, and go with it on the street, in search of adventure.
The second method is suitable for a small dog, which is easy to pick up on your hands. Need to:
- Put the harness on the floor and straighten it. Cross strap, hole for paws – it should be obvious how it fits.
- Lure the animal – if it is small, you can just pick it up.
- Put paws in the correct holes. In order not to try to escape, you can treat something delicious.
- While the dog is distracted, just pull the straps and snap the carabiner on the back.
- Check whether everything is lying correctly, whether the pet is under pressure, whether the belts are falling down.
If everything is in order, it remains to stroke the dog and take it for a walk.
Braid with two holes for the torso and head, riding
Putting on a pet rider version of the design is not more difficult than the usual:
- Put the dog in front of you and lightly squeeze her sides with your knees.
- Push the head into the hole between the straps.
- Thread the right paw into the corresponding hole, the left into the other.
- Snap the carabiner.
The whole procedure takes less than a minute – at least if there are no attempts at resistance.
If the zipper is at the waistcoat on the back, you can use the same methods as when trying to put on a dog the usual design. If the clasp on the chest, you need to act differently:
- Call the dog and throw a vest on her back.
- Thread the right front paw into the right hole, left into the other.
- Close the lock on the chest.
By the same principle, people wear most of their outerwear, so problems should not arise.
The answer to any request is much clearer, if you do not just listen to the instructions, but watch them on video.
What if the dog resists
In the video, everything looks very clear and simple, but it is not always possible to repeat this in real life. Not all animals like the fact that they are wearing a harness. Not everyone agrees to stand still and tolerate unfamiliar objects near his head.
Therefore, sometimes you have to spend some time trying to teach the dog to stand still and wait until it is dressed.
- Step one is to teach your pet to harness, as such. Unfamiliar objects scare not only animals, but even people. Because first you need to show the dog that there is nothing wrong with his new accessory. To do this, give a sniff, touch the side or back, pat the straps on the fur. Its smell will reconcile the dog with the unknown and it will be calmer.
- The second step is to find a suitable place. You should not wear a harness for the first time in front of all households, in a noisy kitchen or near a working TV. The atmosphere should be relaxing and the pet should not be distracted.
- The third step is to use punishment correctly. If the animal is not given, is trying to escape or even growls, you need to show him that it is doing badly. To do this, frown and in a stern voice say "fu" or "bad boy / girl." Do not give to run away, even if the dog is trying very hard. If necessary – hold.
- The fourth step is to use incentives correctly. Punishments do not work without them, because as soon as the dog has ceased to resist, it must be encouraged: to say something affectionate, stroke, give a treat. If she stopped struggling, you can even let her go so that “when you are sitting quietly you will be released sooner or later.”
- Step five – when the pet gets used to the harness and to the fact that it is not profitable to resist, you can hold a dress rehearsal. Plant, encourage for calm, put a design over your head, encourage for courage, take a paw, stick it in the hole … If the dog allows you to do the whole procedure, give it a treat.
The whole process is carried out in an atmosphere of calm and friendly. Nothing terrible, nothing unusual. If the dog resists, no need to shout at him, no need to scold him loudly and for a long time. The punishment must be short, understandable and not too unpleasant, otherwise the next time the animal simply will not be given, will run away and hide. And, if you catch him in spite of this, there is a high chance of making him an eternally frightened neurotic.
Let the harness be associated with delicacies, gentle words and walks. And then put it on is not difficult.